Sunday, October 30, 2011

Still Waiting...

Wow, that last post was forever ago! I don't think I can properly convey how quickly, and yet painfully slowly, these last 7 months have gone by. Getting accepted to a program 10 months before it starts is just cruel. I know I was complaining about waiting for acceptance letters, but this has been much worse! The ABSN program has been the carrot on a stick that has led me through the muddy waters of of 2011, but I have 2 more months to go! I had no idea how crazy this year of waiting could be.

These past few months have been filled with some high peaks and some low valleys. Getting accepted to UNC was definitely akin to reaching the summit on Everest. Some of the events that have followed have felt like falling down an icy chasm after reaching that summit.

My tendency to procrastinate is quite strong. This is a habit that will need to die if I am going to survive the grueling 16 months of my program. I was given 6 months to get all of my vaccinations, blood tests, and doctor's visits taken care of. Naturally I waited until October to do these things. The deadline is November 15th...

I would love to point out that I have been busy with some serious life events, but that is not a strong enough argument to excuse my laziness!

Overall, I have to admit that this terrible wait time has been a blessing. During the summer I had the opportunity to play nurse to my mother, who was diagnosed with breast cancer back in February. She had a successful surgery in May and was promised a clean bill of health. I was in charge of all of her home care. I was changing bandages, swabbing sutures, stripping drains, prepping meals, and doing whatever else was needed to help her. I knew beforehand that I was not interested in this particular field of nursing, but for my Mom, I was willing to do anything.

I still have to take the TEAS(which I still fail to see as a necessary part of the program) and get the rest of my forms turned in. I have submitted my application for an apartment and am getting things prepped here for the big move. It is a journey of 2,527 miles. I am looking forward to whatever adventures may come!

1 comment:

  1. That sucks having to wait so long! I'm sorry! You're almost there! It was so nice of you to take care of your mom! Good luck with the apartment etc...

    ReplyDelete